Read the latest StormTrack 5 Forecast
WE ARE TRACKING TONS OF SUN AGAIN TODAY
RAIN WILL RETURN TO THE AREA THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT
MUCH COOLER FOR THE WEEKEND
Today: Mostly sunny and pleasant. Highs 78-83. Winds southwest 5-10 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear and cool. Lows 46-51. Winds east 5 mph.
Thursday: Partly cloudy and warm. Highs 82-87. Winds south 5 mph.
Thursday Night: Increasing clouds, rain developing. Lows 55-60. Winds southeast 5-10 mph.
We are tracking high pressure in the StormTrack 5 Weather Center. The high will again help with warm temperatures and a sun-sational day through the southern Appalachians. We will be about 5° to 8° above normal for today.
Tonight will carry us a mostly clear and cool night for the Tri-Cities.
Thursday will be another warm and nice day but clouds will slowly increase later in the day with more above normal temperatures.
StormTrack 5 Meteorologists are tracking a storm system in the Great Lakes that will drag a cold front south. The front will bring us a 30 percent chance of rain after midnight Thursday. Friday will be wet with a 70 percent chance of rain and possibly some isolated thunderstorms. I think the main part of this system will move out or be moving out in the early evening.
Some of the high school football games may be a little wet to start.
The front should clear the area by Saturday morning with a drier and cooler air mass settling in for the weekend and start of the new work week. The Saturday will be about 15° to 20° cooler on Saturday than just two days before on Thursday.
Saturday and Sunday will be mostly sunny and a little breezy as the front continues to depart.
Monday may bring another shot at showers in the afternoon, but it is only about 20 percent at best.
Mostly sunny skies will be pushed back in on Tuesday as another high pressure nudges back into the area.
Highs will be in the low 80s today and Thursday with mid 70s Friday and low to mid 60s Saturday through Tuesday. Lows will be in the low to mid 50s tonight through Friday night and low to mid 40s Saturday night through Tuesday night.
You can always get the latest forecast and weather information on News 5 WCYB, wcyb.com and on the StormTrack 5 weather app.
Our normal high is 74°, low 49°.
Meteorologist Donnie Cox
Copyright © 2014 by WCYB. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.