Surviving 'quit day' when quitting smoking
By Mayo Clinic News Network
Getting through 'quit day' can be emotionally and physically challenging, especially if tobacco cravings strike. Use these tips to help get through quit-smoking day:
1. Don't smoke, not even 'just one.'
2. Begin using nicotine replacement therapy if you've chosen that method.
3. Remind yourself of reasons to quit smoking.
4. Keep physically active.
5. Avoid situations and people that trigger cravings.
6. Attend a support group, counseling session or stop-smoking class.
7. Practice stress management and relaxation techniques.
8. Keep your hands busy by texting, writing, squeezing a ball or knitting.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.