Preston Ayres grew up on a farm in the Bowmantown community of Washington County, TN. After graduating from Daniel Boone High School, he went on to earn a degree in Mass Communications from East Tennessee State University.
Anchoring and reporting local news has been Preston's dream since he was 12 years old. Legendary University of Tennessee play-by-play announcer John Ward once told him to call a radio station and ask for a job if it's what he wanted to do, so he did. Preston's broadcasting career began at WGRV and WIKQ radio in Greeneville, where he spent five years as a disk jockey and news reporter during high school and college.
He joined the News 5 WCYB team as a news department intern in 2003 and became a full-time reporter/videographer in 2005. Preston was promoted to weekend anchor for News 5 WCYB at 6 and 11 in 2008. Preston became anchor of News 5 WCYB Today in November of 2012 after WCYB legend Johnny Wood announced his retirement; he began anchoring News 5 WCYB at Noon in 2014.
Preston and his wife Lara live in Washington County, TN where they attend Gray United Methodist Church. Preston is also a member of the Appalachian Fair Board of Directors.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day