JEFFERSON COUNTY, Tenn. - Playing without senior point guard Tianna Tarter - who was suspended after receiving two technical fouls Friday against Seymour - Science Hill's undefeated season ended Monday night, losing to Morristown West 52-43 in the Class AAA region semifinals.
Tarter - their senior leader and one of the top players in the state - was whistled for two technical fouls in their region quarterfinal win over Seymour.
According to the TSSAA rule book, a player who receives two technical fouls in a game is suspended for two games.
Science Hill fell behind Morristown West by six points at halftime and they couldn't recover. The Lady Hill Toppers' season ends with a 31-1 record.
"It's a big difference, having a floor general out there," Science Hill head coach Keith Turner told News 5 WCYB.
"There are a lot of things they wouldn't be able to do defensively if she was out there. She makes everything easier. This is an incredible group of girls that won 31 straight games. I hate to see them go out this way because we had goals a lot bigger than this."
TENNESSEE REGION SEMIFINAL SCORES:
Morristown West 52, Science Hill 43
Jefferson County 54, Dobyns-Bennett 35
Elizabethton 56, Sullivan South 42
Grainger 81, Sullivan East 48
Cloudland 48, South Greene 41
North Greene 39, Cosby 37
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next