RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Miah Spencer scored 23 points, Dominique Wilson had 19 and No. 17 North Carolina State used a dominate second quarter to defeat Virginia Tech 85-71 on Sunday.
Spencer was 11 of 16 from the field and had nine rebounds and six assists, and Wilson had seven assists, five rebounds and four steals as the Wolfpack (19-6, 9-3 ACC) won its third straight.
Spencer's bucket with four seconds left in the first quarter pulled N.C. State within 20-19. The Wolfpack scored the first seven points of the second quarter, capped by a DD Rogers 3-pointer. Spencer had consecutive baskets in a 6-0 burst that made it 32-22 and then the Wolfpack reeled off 16 straight points. Ashley Williams had back-to-back 3-pointers, Jennifer Mathurin had a 3 and four free throws and Wilson a 3-point play.
The 31-8 second quarter made it 50-28 at halftime and the lead reached 27 midway through the third.
Vanessa Panousis had 20 points and Sidney Cook 18 for Virginia Tech (16-9, 3-9), which has lost eight straight after starting the season 15-0.
- Marion churches "adopt a cop" to strengthen community relations
- Bear concerns: Shady Valley residents say they're living in fear after a bear attack
- Early morning fire destroys landmark in Buchanan County
- Tennessee GOP gubernatorial candidate Black details sexual misconduct in Nashville
- Report: Two dead in shooting at Penn State Beaver campus