BRISTOL, Tenn. - In the first meeting of the season between cross-town rivals Virginia High and Tennessee, the Bearcats grabbed an early lead and held on for a 13-6 win.
Virginia High jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning.
Tennessee High then battled back in the fourth inning when David Tolbert smashed a three-run homer to right field, cutting the lead to 5-4.
But Virginia High kept the offense coming. Daulton Horne tripled in the bottom of the fourth, scoring Justin Brown and extending the lead.
The Bearcats increased the lead to 10-4 in the sixth and were never threatened, winning the first meeting of the season between the two rivals.
The teams will meet again April 30 in Bristol, Va.
- New UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- New Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program
- Report: Synthetic drug dealer from Pound gets 3.5 years in jail
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary offers vessel safety inspections