BRISTOL, Tenn. - In the first meeting of the season between cross-town rivals Virginia High and Tennessee, the Bearcats grabbed an early lead and held on for a 13-6 win.
Virginia High jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning.
Tennessee High then battled back in the fourth inning when David Tolbert smashed a three-run homer to right field, cutting the lead to 5-4.
But Virginia High kept the offense coming. Daulton Horne tripled in the bottom of the fourth, scoring Justin Brown and extending the lead.
The Bearcats increased the lead to 10-4 in the sixth and were never threatened, winning the first meeting of the season between the two rivals.
The teams will meet again April 30 in Bristol, Va.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend