Virginia High and Honaker have advanced to Saturday's state baseball championships.
Behind a no-hitter from pitcher Austin Miles, Virginia High topped Madison County 12-0 in Friday's VHSL Group 2A semifinals. They will play Strasburg for the championship Saturday at 1 p.m. at Radford University.
Honaker improved to 25-0 after beating William Campbell 5-2 in the Group 1A semifinals. The Tigers will play Northumberland for the state crown Saturday at 10 a.m. at Radford University.
The Eastside softball team falls short in Friday's Group 1A semifinals losing to William Campbell 12-5.
In tennis, the Abingdon girl's doubles team of Tyler Blalock and Haley Stallard defeated the team from Northside 6-2, 4-6, 6-1 to capture the Group 3A state title.
The Gate City girl's doubles team of Rosa and Emily Smith won their Group 2A semifinal match 6-1, 6-3 over Wilson Memorial but then fell in the finals to George Mason 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (8-6).
Both the Gate City and J.I. Burton boy's doubles teams were defeated Friday in the Group 2A semifinals.
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway