BRISTOL, Va. - Virginia High has won three straight games including an upset win over Gretna in the first round of the playoffs.
The postseason didn't seem possible after a 3-5 start.
"We could have turned on each other at that time," Virginia High head coach Michael Crist told News 5 WCYB.
"We're sitting at 3-5, but we decided you know what, nobody else has to believe in us but we believe in ourselves."
After their starting quarterback went down with an ankle injury, Crist inserted senior Austin Kiser into the lineup. Kiser previously was a long-snapper and linebacker for the Bearcats.
"Coach Crist is like, 'we need you to fill some big shoes this week'," Kiser told News 5 WCYB.
Virginia High hasn't lost since Kiser took over at quarterback.
The Bearcats play at Richlands Friday in a second round playoff game.
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway