BRISTOL, Va. - The Virginian Golf Club hosted Tennessee State Amateur qualifying on Monday.
Three local golfers qualified for next month's tournament at the Memphis Country Club Aug. 5-8.
Johnson City's Peter Chang - who says he hopes to walk-on at Harvard University in the fall - defeated Bristol's Nic Vandeventer in a playoff to claim the final spot.
"It's pretty big," Chang told News 5 WCYB.
"The biggest amateur tournament in the state. It is a really good feeling to be going into it."
Tusculum's Taylor Smith and Elizabethton's Cory Walker also qualified.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death