BRISTOL, Va. - The Virginian Golf Club hosted Tennessee State Amateur qualifying on Monday.
Three local golfers qualified for next month's tournament at the Memphis Country Club Aug. 5-8.
Johnson City's Peter Chang - who says he hopes to walk-on at Harvard University in the fall - defeated Bristol's Nic Vandeventer in a playoff to claim the final spot.
"It's pretty big," Chang told News 5 WCYB.
"The biggest amateur tournament in the state. It is a really good feeling to be going into it."
Tusculum's Taylor Smith and Elizabethton's Cory Walker also qualified.
- Updated Red carpet rolled out in Bristol for the movie premiere of 'Believe'
- Updated Rime ice caps area mountain tops just days after record highs
- Updated Hundreds supported breast cancer at Tri-Cities Race for the Cure
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy