BRISTOL, Tenn. - Elizabethton junior running back Ethan Thomas ran for 312 yards and four touchdowns Friday in the 35-13 win over Tennessee High.
The Cyclones led 14-0 after the first quarter. Peyton Henley led the Vikings on a scoring drive to cut the lead to 14-7.
Later in the second quarter, Elizabethton's defense made a big play when Markus Olds intercepted a Peyton Henley pass and returned it for a touchdown. The Cyclones led 21-7 heading into halftime.
The second half belonged to Thomas. He broke off a long run on the Cyclones' first drive. He later scored from a few yards away to push the lead to 28-7.
"We just had it on our minds," Thomas told News 5 WCYB after the game.
"We had to work hard and do it. We did it."
Elizabethton improves to 4-1 and Tennessee High falls to 3-2.
"We stayed with our plan," Elizabethton head coach Shawn Witten said.
"Our guys executed. We just came out, did a great job and set the tone early. Our kids never quit."
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway