The Tennessee Vols will host ETSU for a men's basketball game on Dec. 31.
ETSU confirmed the game Tuesday. A tip-off time at Thompson-Boling Arena will be announced at a later date.
Tennessee head coach Donnie Tyndall told News 5 WCYB Monday evening that he is looking forward to a match-up against longtime friend Murry Bartow.
"Coach Bartow is a great man and a great coach," Tyndall said.
"He has been very good to me so we want to give them the first opportunity as an in-state school to start this series."
Bartow commented on the match-up Tuesday.
"I've known Donnie since his days at Middle Tennessee, and we coached against each other when he was at Morehead State, so I'm glad this worked out for both our teams," Bartow said.
"This is always an exciting game for our fans and I think a high-level game for our players. It's been a few years since we've made the trip to Knoxville, so this will be a game everyone will look forward to playing."
Having met 14 times in all, the Vols hold a 12-2 advantage in the all-time series.
However, the games have been close over the years, including a 66-63 Tennessee win in the last meeting between the two teams in 2010-11, and a 93-88 victory for the Vols in 2006-07.
The Bucs won back-to-back games against Tennessee with an 83-70 win in 1989 and a 87-79 victory in 1991.
- Updated Solidarity in Remembrance: Smyth Co. town comes together to honor veterans
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator
- Man with bladed gloves, clown makeup held in Denver stabbing
- US Postal Service issues new Thoreau stamp at Walden Pond
- Derby Day event raises $31,000 for hunger prevention programs in Greene Co.