BRISTOL, Tenn. - Del Worsham broke Bristol Dragway's Funny Car time record with a 4.008-second run Friday in qualifying for the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals.
The run also was the quickest in Worsham's career and the best this season. He reached a top speed of 314.83 mph in his Toyota Camry.
Spencer Massey led the Top Fuel field, and Mike Edwards topped the Pro Stock lineup, both breaking the track and time and speed marks. Massey had a 3.775 at 326.79 mph, and season points leader Mike Edwards finished at 6.645 at 207.72 in a Chevy Camaro for ninth No. 1 of the season and 50th overall.
Defending Pro Stock world champ and Greenville, Tenn. native Allen Johnson is currently second in his Team Mopar/J&J Racing Dodge Avenger with a 6.645 pass at 206.70 miles per hour.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting