The 2014 Appalachian League season officially kicked off on Thursday night across the Tri-Cities.
The Bristol Pirates era started with a tough road loss. The Pirates lost to the Princeton Rays 5-2. The Rays hit a walk-off 3-run homer in the bottom of the ninth.
The Johnson City Cardinals had a successful road debut to the 2014 season. The Cardinals blanked the Bluefield Blue Jays 13-0.
The Elizabethton Twins opened their campaign with an impressive 11-3 road win against the Greenville Astros. The Twins scored at least a run in six of the nine innings.
In Kingsport, the Mets lost their home opener 8-4 to the Danville Braves. Danville scored seven runs in the first two innings of the game and held on for the 8-4 win.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport