EMORY, Va. - Curt Newsome is digging in as the new head coach at Emory & Henry College.
With spring practice in full swing, Newsome is busy running the practices, recruiting and even learning the names of his 100 players.
"I'm still learning," Newsome told News 5 WCYB.
"You may hear me say number 72 today. But I'm getting most of them down."
He comes to Emory with a wealth of experience. He coached high school football for 16 years before making the jump to college. He spent seven years at Virginia Tech and eight years at James Madison. But the most important line on his resume explains that he is an Emory & Henry graduate.
"I'm excited about him being an Emory guy," wide receiver Lucas Kirby told News 5 WCYB.
Newsome is charged with getting the Wasps back to the top of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. The Wasps haven't won more than six games in a season since 2009. They haven't won a conference title since 2000.
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial
- Rock royalty in attendance as Chris Cornell is laid to rest in Hollywood