CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Brendan Gaughan visited the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga Tuesday, and compared swimming with sharks to racing at Bristol Motor Speedway.
Gaughan is a certified scuba dive master and has been diving since 2008.
He spent about 20 minutes in the tiger shark tank and then compared the feat to racing at the World's Fastest Half-Mile.
"It's true," Gaughan told News 5 WCYB.
"You race at Bristol and it's a chariot race. You are in the Roman Coliseum and your doing a chariot race. Just like Charlton Heston, you have spikes coming out of your tires. You are fighting some gladiators. It is much more difficult to race with them than it is to dive with those sharks."
Gaughan will trade in his scuba gear for a helmet when he returns to BMS next month for the Food City 300.
- 'Genius Hour' inspiring unique products from Bristol middle schoolers
- Official: Trump to revoke transgender bathroom guidance
- Poll: 51 percent of Tennesseans approve of Trump's job performance
- UPDATE: Suspected Kingsport killer gets $250K bond
- Dirty dancing: Caretaker charged for naughty dance in front of dementia patient