CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Brendan Gaughan visited the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga Tuesday, and compared swimming with sharks to racing at Bristol Motor Speedway.
Gaughan is a certified scuba dive master and has been diving since 2008.
He spent about 20 minutes in the tiger shark tank and then compared the feat to racing at the World's Fastest Half-Mile.
"It's true," Gaughan told News 5 WCYB.
"You race at Bristol and it's a chariot race. You are in the Roman Coliseum and your doing a chariot race. Just like Charlton Heston, you have spikes coming out of your tires. You are fighting some gladiators. It is much more difficult to race with them than it is to dive with those sharks."
Gaughan will trade in his scuba gear for a helmet when he returns to BMS next month for the Food City 300.
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway