John Battle beat Fort Chiswell Friday night in the state quarterfinals, by turning a botched extra-point try into a winning 2-point conversion.
The Trojans fell behind 7-0 at halftime, but then rallied and used a late touchdown to get within one, 14-13 with a minute to play.
On the game-tying extra point attempt, the snap went through the hands of holder Brent Tipton. Kicker Adam Jones picked it up and tossed it to Robert Luchini who ran it in for the 2-point conversion.
The improvised play gave John Battle a 15-14 win.
The Trojans improve to 12-1, advancing to next week's state semifinals.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial