John Battle beat Fort Chiswell Friday night in the state quarterfinals, by turning a botched extra-point try into a winning 2-point conversion.
The Trojans fell behind 7-0 at halftime, but then rallied and used a late touchdown to get within one, 14-13 with a minute to play.
On the game-tying extra point attempt, the snap went through the hands of holder Brent Tipton. Kicker Adam Jones picked it up and tossed it to Robert Luchini who ran it in for the 2-point conversion.
The improvised play gave John Battle a 15-14 win.
The Trojans improve to 12-1, advancing to next week's state semifinals.
- Tenn. Senate replaces proposed 'alien' label IDs with 'visa'
- Part of Bristol, Tennessee without water after water main break
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations