BRISTOL, Va. - In the battle of Bristol, Virginia, John Battle fended off rival Virginia High 24-19 Friday night in the first round of the VHSL Group A Division 2 playoffs.
The Trojans took the early lead on a Logan Honaker touchdown run. The Bearcats responded by blocking a punt and then tying the game at seven after a Justin Brown touchdown scamper.
Ivan Moore scored just before the half to give Virginia High a 14-13 lead at the break.
The Trojans regained the lead and used an Adam Jones field goal in the fourth quarter to take a 24-17 lead.
A safety by Virginia High's defense drew them closer at 24-19, but they were stopped on what could have been a game-winning drive, when John Battle's Brent Tipton intercepted a deep pass.
The Trojans improve to 10-1 on the season, advancing to the second round of the playoffs. They will face Giles High School next week.
- Updated Bristol, Virginia scraps waterfall plan at the Falls
- New Kingsport hosts national gymnastics championship
- Updated Man and woman charged with attempted murder, kidnapping now on most wanted list
- Tennessee governor taking business recruiting trip to Europe
- Senate OKs bill to expand N. Carolina's 'revenge porn' law