John Battle fell one game short of making it to the state championship game. The Trojans lost at Essex 40-9 on Saturday afternoon.
John Battle trailed 7-3 after the first quarter, but the Trojans were outscored 20-0 in the second quarter and trailed 27-3 at halftime.
In the second half, the Trojans could not muster a rally. Essex went on to win 40-9 to advance to the state title game.
John Battle's season comes to an end after a magical run that saw the Trojans win three playoff games. Before this season, the Trojans had just one playoff win in school history.
John Battle finishes their season with a 12 and 2 record.
- New Thousands of school buses in Virginia need safety device
- New Virginia DMV: Bristol one of 21 localities with zero traffic fatalities in '16
- New UPDATE: 8-year-old girl among victims in Manchester terror attack
- Jury selection enters second day in Bill Cosby sex assault case
- 6,300-plus stoves recalled following electrocution death