BRISTOL, Va. - John Battle beat rival Virginia High 25-10 Friday night.
The Trojans jumped out to a first quarter lead after quarterback Logan Honaker hooked up with Josh Matney.
After a safety, Matney returned a punt for a touchdown to take a 15-0 second quarter lead.
Virginia High's Justin Brown ran one in before halftime, to leave the Bearcats trailing 15-7.
The teams traded field goals in the third quarter. In the fourth, Battle sealed the win with an interception from Wesley Blaylock and then a touchdown run from Carter Harlow.
"This is a big rivalry, " John Battle head coach Steve Wright told News 5 WCYB.
"Virginia High is a very good football team. It took a great effort from our kids. It was just a good high school football game."
John Battle improves to 2-0 on the season. Virginia High falls to 1-1.
- Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project