BRISTOL, Va. - John Battle beat rival Virginia High 25-10 Friday night.
The Trojans jumped out to a first quarter lead after quarterback Logan Honaker hooked up with Josh Matney.
After a safety, Matney returned a punt for a touchdown to take a 15-0 second quarter lead.
Virginia High's Justin Brown ran one in before halftime, to leave the Bearcats trailing 15-7.
The teams traded field goals in the third quarter. In the fourth, Battle sealed the win with an interception from Wesley Blaylock and then a touchdown run from Carter Harlow.
"This is a big rivalry, " John Battle head coach Steve Wright told News 5 WCYB.
"Virginia High is a very good football team. It took a great effort from our kids. It was just a good high school football game."
John Battle improves to 2-0 on the season. Virginia High falls to 1-1.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next