BRISTOL, Va. - "Jerry T" appears on a weekly radio segment on WXSM in the Tri-Cities called "Talking Horses With Jerry T." On the eve of what could be horse racing history, he has plenty to talk about.
California Chrome will attempt to complete the Triple Crown Saturday at the Belmont Stakes. There hasn't been a Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978.
"This is the most exciting thing for horse racing in the last 36 years because there hasn't been a Triple Crown winner in 36 years," he told News 5 WCYB.
California Chrome's rags-to-riches story is making his historic run all the more enticing.
"His mother, the dame, was bought for $8,000. His sire only cost $2,500 to breed. You and I could have been partners with this horse and afforded this kind of horse. That's what's captured the imagination of the country."
Although California Chrome is a 3-5 betting favorite heading into Saturday's race, "Jerry T" says a win is no given on this mile and a half track.
"The level of competition in my opinion is the best it's been in the last 20 years. Anyone of five or six horses could win this race and it would not be a surprise."
The Belmont Stakes airs Saturday on News 5 WCYB starting at 4:30 p.m.
- Court: Greeneville bank manager embezzled more than $1 million
- Local police agencies offering drug take-back services Saturday
- Domtar announces reduced production at Kingsport plant
- Virginia voter registration deadline extended through Friday
- School board picks plan for new Boone's Creek school, discusses redistricting issue