BRISTOL, Va. - "Jerry T" appears on a weekly radio segment on WXSM in the Tri-Cities called "Talking Horses With Jerry T." On the eve of what could be horse racing history, he has plenty to talk about.
California Chrome will attempt to complete the Triple Crown Saturday at the Belmont Stakes. There hasn't been a Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978.
"This is the most exciting thing for horse racing in the last 36 years because there hasn't been a Triple Crown winner in 36 years," he told News 5 WCYB.
California Chrome's rags-to-riches story is making his historic run all the more enticing.
"His mother, the dame, was bought for $8,000. His sire only cost $2,500 to breed. You and I could have been partners with this horse and afforded this kind of horse. That's what's captured the imagination of the country."
Although California Chrome is a 3-5 betting favorite heading into Saturday's race, "Jerry T" says a win is no given on this mile and a half track.
"The level of competition in my opinion is the best it's been in the last 20 years. Anyone of five or six horses could win this race and it would not be a surprise."
The Belmont Stakes airs Saturday on News 5 WCYB starting at 4:30 p.m.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone