SALEM, Va. - A sixth-inning three-run homer by Emily Kendrick lifted Honaker to a 3-1 win over Madison County in Sunday's Group A Division One state championship game.
The teams were scoreless through five innings. In the sixth, Madison County starting pitcher Lauren Seale helped her own cause with a triple. The Honaker throw to third got away and Seale broke for home, giving her team a 1-0 lead.
But in the bottom of the sixth with two runners on, Honaker's Emily Kendrick smashed a three-run homer giving Honaker a 3-1 lead which they held through the seventh inning.
It is the Tigers' first state title since 1988.
Honaker finished runner-up in the Region D tournament, but used victories over Holston and East Rockingham to advance to Sunday's state tournament final.
- Updated Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project