SALEM, Va. - A sixth-inning three-run homer by Emily Kendrick lifted Honaker to a 3-1 win over Madison County in Sunday's Group A Division One state championship game.
The teams were scoreless through five innings. In the sixth, Madison County starting pitcher Lauren Seale helped her own cause with a triple. The Honaker throw to third got away and Seale broke for home, giving her team a 1-0 lead.
But in the bottom of the sixth with two runners on, Honaker's Emily Kendrick smashed a three-run homer giving Honaker a 3-1 lead which they held through the seventh inning.
It is the Tigers' first state title since 1988.
Honaker finished runner-up in the Region D tournament, but used victories over Holston and East Rockingham to advance to Sunday's state tournament final.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- New School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- New Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon