BRISTOL, Va. - Honaker got a late touchdown from Austin Smith to hand John Battle its first loss of the season 26-24. The Tigers stay unbeaten at 5-0.
The Trojans led 10-6 at halftime but in the third the Tigers went ahead 13-10 with an Austin Smith touchdown run.
The teams traded scores in the fourth quarter. With Honaker leading 20-17, the Trojans regained the lead when quarterback Logan Honaker connected with Josh Matney on a long touchdown strike. The deep pass made it 24-20.
But the Tigers had the final say, orchestrating a game-winning drive in the final minutes capped off by another Smith touchdown scamper which proved to be the game-winning score.
"It's a shame someone has to leave with a loss," Honaker head coach Doug Hubbard told News 5 WCYB.
"That is a great football team. We are fortunate to get out of here with a win."
Just like last season, Honaker hands John Battle its first loss of the season.
"Our kids played hard," John Battle head coach Steve Wright told News 5 WCYB.
"We just weren't able to make one more play at the end."
- Johnson City Police cruisers damaged after hour-long car chase
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools