BRISTOL, Va. - Honaker got a late touchdown from Austin Smith to hand John Battle its first loss of the season 26-24. The Tigers stay unbeaten at 5-0.
The Trojans led 10-6 at halftime but in the third the Tigers went ahead 13-10 with an Austin Smith touchdown run.
The teams traded scores in the fourth quarter. With Honaker leading 20-17, the Trojans regained the lead when quarterback Logan Honaker connected with Josh Matney on a long touchdown strike. The deep pass made it 24-20.
But the Tigers had the final say, orchestrating a game-winning drive in the final minutes capped off by another Smith touchdown scamper which proved to be the game-winning score.
"It's a shame someone has to leave with a loss," Honaker head coach Doug Hubbard told News 5 WCYB.
"That is a great football team. We are fortunate to get out of here with a win."
Just like last season, Honaker hands John Battle its first loss of the season.
"Our kids played hard," John Battle head coach Steve Wright told News 5 WCYB.
"We just weren't able to make one more play at the end."
- New Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin