Honaker, Va. - The Honaker Tigers rallied from a 26-7 halftime deficit to defeat Sussex Central 48-40 and advance to the Group A, Division 1 state title game against George Wythe.
Honaker trailed 12-0 after the first quarter and trailed 26-7 at halftime before beginning their comeback.
The Tigers scored 20 points in the third quarter and trailed 32-27 entering the fourth quarter.
Honaker took their first lead of the game on a Payton Ball touchdown run to make the score 34-32.
Honaker led 41-40 late in the fourth before Ty Hall hit Jordan Hess to push the Honaker lead to 48-40.
Sussex Central marched all the way down to the Honaker 14-yard line with four seconds left. On the final play of the game, Casey Dye tackled Trayvond Wooden at the three-yard line as he caught the ball short of the endzone.
Honaker outscored Sussex Central 41-14 in the second half.
With the win, Honaker improves to 13 and 1 on the season and advances to the state title game against George Wythe.
Honaker and George Wythe will square off next Saturday in Salem at noon.
- New Mistrial for men accused of beating NASCAR's Mike Wallace
- FTC warns there would be 'significant risk' if MSHA, Wellmont merger is approved
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Boone Lake dam repairs will mean water level changes
- TVA investigates aquatic life near Boone Lake dam