BRISTOL, Va. - John Battle senior Matt Sullivan helped his team win in extra innings Thursday night. Less than 24 hours later, he signed a college scholarship.
Sullivan struck out 11 batters in nine innings against Union. With the game tied heading into the tenth, Sullivan moved to play right field.
He ended up adding an RBI-single in the 12th inning to lead the Trojans to a 5-2 win.
"I knew if I kept battling, they would keep battling and we were going to win," Sullivan told News 5 WCYB.
Friday afternoon, less than 24 hours after the dramatic victory, Sullivan signed a college scholarship to play for Division II Lenoir-Rhyne.
"To come back today and to sign, and know that I am going to play college baseball, it's just amazing."
Sullivan is a two-time all-district starting pitcher for John Battle.
- Updated Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City