BRISTOL, Va. - John Battle senior Matt Sullivan helped his team win in extra innings Thursday night. Less than 24 hours later, he signed a college scholarship.
Sullivan struck out 11 batters in nine innings against Union. With the game tied heading into the tenth, Sullivan moved to play right field.
He ended up adding an RBI-single in the 12th inning to lead the Trojans to a 5-2 win.
"I knew if I kept battling, they would keep battling and we were going to win," Sullivan told News 5 WCYB.
Friday afternoon, less than 24 hours after the dramatic victory, Sullivan signed a college scholarship to play for Division II Lenoir-Rhyne.
"To come back today and to sign, and know that I am going to play college baseball, it's just amazing."
Sullivan is a two-time all-district starting pitcher for John Battle.
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting
- Tri Cities Regional Airport celebrates completion of construction