HAYSI, Va. - Haysi defeated J.I. Burton 36-12 Saturday in the quarterfinal round of the Virginia state playoffs.
The Raiders tied the game 6-6 in the second quarter when quarterback Tra Adams found Kelly Thompson for a touchdown pass.
Haysi came right back with workhorse running back Jeffrey Bowen breaking off a long run. A few plays later Haysi quarterback Jalen Sykes found Bowen in the end zone for a touchdown and a 14-6 lead after the 2-point conversion.
The Tigers scored again later when Sykes found Tristan Yates in the end zone. Haysi led 20-6 at halftime.
Haysi added two fourth quarter touchdowns and pulled away for the victory.
"Awesome game on our part," Haysi head coach James Colley told News 5 WCYB.
"Our offense and defense stayed with it."
Haysi advances to face Alta Vista in next week's state semifinals.
"Haysi has an excellent ball club and you have to commend them," J.I. Burton head coach Jim Adams told News 5 WCYB.
"Tough day for us, but we'll be back."
In Group 2A, Gate City lost 42-17 at Buckingham County.
The Blue Devils struggled to slow down Buckingham running back Peanut Johnson, who rushed for four touchdowns.
- Updated Greene County teen admits to murdering father
- Updated Authorities continue investigation into old General Mills building fire
- Cyber security customer call center has grand opening in Wise
- Expelled state lawmaker escorted from UT football game
- Public sessions begin Monday regarding MSHA/Wellmont merger