GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) - Logan McCarter had a career-best 178 yards receiving with one touchdown and caught an onside kick in stride and sprinted 47 yards for the score to help lead Furman to a 56-35 win over East Tennessee State to give the Paladins their first Southern Conference win on Saturday.
ETSU kicked a field goal to close to 42-27 with 8:16 left in the game. The Buccaneers tried an onside kick that McCarter fielded on the hop and sprinted into the end zone. McCarter finished with 225 all-purpose yards.
ETSU answered two plays later when Austin Herink drilled Hunter Wilke on a 78-yard scoring strike and added the two extra points to trail 49-35.
Tyler Voyles sacked Herick twice as the Paladin defense recorded six sacks.
P. J. Blazejowski threw for 301 yards and three touchdowns and Furman (2-3, 1-1) rushed for 308 yards.
Herink led ETSU (2-3, 1-2), throwing for 438 yards and three touchdowns.
- Disney Animation, Pixar chief John Lasseter taking leave
- Homes with a heart: local United Way initiative offers shelter for families in need
- Parents urged to take a look at "Trouble in Toyland" report before Christmas shopping
- Mosheim's Blue Springs Lutheran Church added to National Register of Historical Places
- Derailed coal train had Michigan utility plant destination