JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - A.J. Merriweather's free throw with 2 seconds to play in double overtime Tuesday lifted No. 4 seed ETSU over fifth-seeded Lipscomb 89-88 in an Atlantic Sun Conference tournament showdown. The Bucs advance to face top-seeded Florida Gulf Coast in Thursday's semifinals.
With the game tied late in double overtime, Lipscomb's J.C. Hampton's missed shot was rebounded by Merriweather. He was instantly fouled by Josh Williams, sending him to the line with 1.5 seconds remaining.
Merriweather made the second free throw, securing a victory for ETSU.
"We've come back a lot this year," ETSU head coach Murry Bartow told News 5 WCYB after the win.
"We've been in a lot of tough games and found a way to come back. It says a lot about who we are and our players' character."
The Buccaneers (18-14) advance to play No. 1 seeded Florida Gulf Coast.
Jalen Riley scored 28 with 10 boards for ETSU, Kinard Gadsen-Gilliard scored 18 with 10 rebounds, Devin Harris had 16 points, and Rashawn Rembert 13.
Lipscomb (15-15) led 31-29 at halftime, and Riley tied it at 69 at the end of regulation. ETSU pulled to a three-point lead in overtime, but Lipscomb's Khion Sankey tied it at 80 with a trey with 17 seconds to play.
Sankey's 3-pointer put Lipscomb up 88-86 in the second overtime, but Lester Wilson tied it with free throws, then Merriweather won it.
- Updated Highway 421 to reopen Tuesday between Mountain City and Shady Valley
- Updated Buchanan County drug roundup leads to over 20 arrests
- Updated Report: Presidential Debate captures 80.9 million viewers
- Bluff City tagged with $25,000 fine from state for sewer violation
- Man accused of killing father in Buchanan County appears in court