INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - ETSU senior tennis player Sofia Espana-Perez has been awarded the NCAA Ethnic Minority and Women's Enhancement Programs' Postgraduate Scholarship for Careers in Athletics.
Perez beat out a field of hundreds of applicants to win one of only 13 postgraduate scholarships for women minorities.
It will allow her to continue her education at a postgraduate level at a school of her choosing. After graduating from ETSU, she plans to pursue a master's degree in sports psychology.
"It was an honor to be nominated by the athletic department and humbling that I was chosen by the NCAA for such a prestigious honor," Perez said in a release from the ETSU athletics department.
A senior from Mexico City, Mexico, Perez has maintained an institutional GPA of over 3.9 while majoring in psychology and minoring in sociology.
She is currently unbeaten in Atlantic Sun play in both singles and doubles this season.
The ETSU women's tennis team is on a five-match winning streak.
- 'Genius Hour' inspiring unique products from Bristol middle schoolers
- Official: Trump to revoke transgender bathroom guidance
- Poll: 51 percent of Tennesseans approve of Trump's job performance
- UPDATE: Suspected Kingsport killer gets $250K bond
- Dirty dancing: Caretaker charged for naughty dance in front of dementia patient