CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - A Panthers spokesman says quarterback Cam Newton has "expressed regret" for his response to a female reporter's question at a news conference.
When Charlotte Observer reporter Jourdan Rodrigue asked Newton Wednesday about wide receiver Devin Funchess' route running, the former league MVP smiled and said, "it's funny to hear a female talk about routes. It's funny."
Carolina spokesman Steven Drummond said in a statement to The Associated Press that Newton had a conversation with Rodrigue after the news conference ended and expressed regret for his remarks.
Drummond said the Panthers "strive as a department to make the environment for media comfortable for everyone covering the team."
After Newton's comments, he proceeded to answer Rodrigue's question.
Mike Persinger, the executive sports editor of the Charlotte Observer, said Newton's comments were "unfortunate and out of line."
For more NFL coverage: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP_NFL
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Disney Animation, Pixar chief John Lasseter taking leave
- Homes with a heart: local United Way initiative offers shelter for families in need
- Parents urged to take a look at "Trouble in Toyland" report before Christmas shopping
- Mosheim's Blue Springs Lutheran Church added to National Register of Historical Places
- Derailed coal train had Michigan utility plant destination