BRISTOL, Va. - The new Bristol Pirates team lost its home-opener Sunday night and is losing second baseman Ulises Montilla to a broken leg.
Bristol Pirates manager Edgar Varela confirmed with News 5 WCYB Monday that Ulises Montilla had successful surgery after breaking his tibia and fibula.
During the third inning of their 12-3 loss to the Burlington Royals Sunday evening, Montilla collided with the short stop going after a ground ball up the middle. He was taken off the field in an ambulance.
The team has placed Montilla on the 60-day disabled list. He is in his second season in the Pittsburgh Pirates minor league system.
- Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project