BRISTOL, Va. - The new Bristol Pirates team lost its home-opener Sunday night and is losing second baseman Ulises Montilla to a broken leg.
Bristol Pirates manager Edgar Varela confirmed with News 5 WCYB Monday that Ulises Montilla had successful surgery after breaking his tibia and fibula.
During the third inning of their 12-3 loss to the Burlington Royals Sunday evening, Montilla collided with the short stop going after a ground ball up the middle. He was taken off the field in an ambulance.
The team has placed Montilla on the 60-day disabled list. He is in his second season in the Pittsburgh Pirates minor league system.
- Updated VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program