BRISTOL, Va. - The new Bristol Pirates team lost its home-opener Sunday night and is losing second baseman Ulises Montilla to a broken leg.
Bristol Pirates manager Edgar Varela confirmed with News 5 WCYB Monday that Ulises Montilla had successful surgery after breaking his tibia and fibula.
During the third inning of their 12-3 loss to the Burlington Royals Sunday evening, Montilla collided with the short stop going after a ground ball up the middle. He was taken off the field in an ambulance.
The team has placed Montilla on the 60-day disabled list. He is in his second season in the Pittsburgh Pirates minor league system.
- New ETSU student reports she was sexually assaulted on campus
- Updated Food City and United Way begin annual program to help feed children
- Updated Jail inmates escape in Hawkins County
- Deer feeding prohibited in Virginia starting September 1
- Select children's tickets to be $10 for Cup Series events at Bristol Motor Speedway