NEW YORK - Nelson Cruz homered and the Texas Rangers got consecutive two-run doubles from Adrian Beltre and A.J. Pierzynski in an 8-5 victory over the New York Yankees on Wednesday night.
Rangers rookie and Bristol native Justin Grimm pitched well enough to beat Andy Pettitte, and the AL West leaders won for the seventh time in nine games following a six-game slide - their longest of the season.
Grimm pitched five innings, giving up three runs on six hits while striking out four.
He improves to 7-5 this season.
Texas is now 6-12 against the Yankees since the start of 2011, both perennial playoff teams this decade.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin