NEW YORK - Nelson Cruz homered and the Texas Rangers got consecutive two-run doubles from Adrian Beltre and A.J. Pierzynski in an 8-5 victory over the New York Yankees on Wednesday night.
Rangers rookie and Bristol native Justin Grimm pitched well enough to beat Andy Pettitte, and the AL West leaders won for the seventh time in nine games following a six-game slide - their longest of the season.
Grimm pitched five innings, giving up three runs on six hits while striking out four.
He improves to 7-5 this season.
Texas is now 6-12 against the Yankees since the start of 2011, both perennial playoff teams this decade.
- Updated Police investigation into Newport News suspect ends in Smyth County
- Greene County teen admits to murder
- Updated Public sessions begin Monday regarding MSHA/Wellmont merger
- Hot summer weather ruins crops in the region, benefits others
- Police identify person of interest in old General Mills building fire