BRISTOL, Va. - Virginia Tech opens the season Aug. 31 in Atlanta against defending national champion Alabama.
Hokies' head coach Frank Beamer tells News 5 WCYB that preparation for a team like Alabama has helped off-season workouts.
"It's one of the pluses, playing a team like Alabama," Beamer said.
"Off-season workouts are good. The preseason workouts are good."
Beamer also believes quarterback Logan Thomas will continue to improve when the offense gels around him.
"I think things around him need to step up. I think if we play more consistent around Logan he's going to be just fine."
Virginia Tech is trying to improve on its 7-6 record from last season.
- Updated Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting
- New Tri Cities Regional Airport celebrates completion of construction
- Jury is out in first-degree murder case of Johnson City man
- Volunteer firefighters responded to RV fire in Bluff City
- Two men charged in the fatal shooting of Zaevion Dobson