BRISTOL, Va. - Virginia Tech opens the season Aug. 31 in Atlanta against defending national champion Alabama.
Hokies' head coach Frank Beamer tells News 5 WCYB that preparation for a team like Alabama has helped off-season workouts.
"It's one of the pluses, playing a team like Alabama," Beamer said.
"Off-season workouts are good. The preseason workouts are good."
Beamer also believes quarterback Logan Thomas will continue to improve when the offense gels around him.
"I think things around him need to step up. I think if we play more consistent around Logan he's going to be just fine."
Virginia Tech is trying to improve on its 7-6 record from last season.
- New KISS concert in Manchester canceled after terrorist attacks
- New Tennessee governor signs NRA-backed metal detector gun bill
- New Former Texas nurse accused of killing dozens of kids in '80s
- UPDATE: Johnson County juvenile pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Muslim man sues Little Caesars over pizza labeled 'halal'