BRISTOL, Va. - Virginia Tech opens the season Aug. 31 in Atlanta against defending national champion Alabama.
Hokies' head coach Frank Beamer tells News 5 WCYB that preparation for a team like Alabama has helped off-season workouts.
"It's one of the pluses, playing a team like Alabama," Beamer said.
"Off-season workouts are good. The preseason workouts are good."
Beamer also believes quarterback Logan Thomas will continue to improve when the offense gels around him.
"I think things around him need to step up. I think if we play more consistent around Logan he's going to be just fine."
Virginia Tech is trying to improve on its 7-6 record from last season.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash