JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - The Atlantic Sun Conference released a statement Tuesday in response to ETSU's announcement that they are restarting the football program.
"Congratulations to the entire East Tennessee State family," said A Sun Commissioner Ted Gumbart.
"We join with the ETSU community in cheering the move to bring Coach Phil Fulmer onto the Buccaneer team. As with all Buc fans, we will enjoy each step in the process leading up to the next kick off for ETSU football."
East Tennessee State announced its plans to revive football during a Tuesday news conference.
Former University of Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer will serve as a consultant and special assistant to athletic director Richard Sander as East Tennessee State relaunches a football program it had shut down for financial reasons in 2003. Fulmer said he doesn't expect to coach the new team, which could begin playing as soon as 2015.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson
- Updated Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event