WINCHESTER, Va. - The Shenandoah University Football Team (4-1, 2-0 ODAC) scored 20 unanswered points in the final two quarters to pull away from Emory & Henry College (2-3, 1-1 ODAC) for a 47-24 victory in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action. The Wasps see a six-game conference winning streak snapped at the hands of the Hornets.
FINAL SCORE – Shenandoah 47, Emory & Henry 24
LOCATION – Winchester, Virginia – Sprint Field at Shentel Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-3, 1-1 ODAC); Shenandoah (4-1, 2-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Shenandoah got out to a 17-10 lead after the first quarter thanks to a pair of touchdown passes by Hayden Bauserman and a field goal by Jacob Newton. Newton struck first with a 31-yarder then Bauserman connected with Jake Wallace and Casey Stewart for a pair of scores.
- Emory & Henry put its first points on the board at the 9:08 mark of the opening period on a nine-yard run by freshman quarterback Hunter Taylor (Summerville, S.C.) and a 47-yard field goal by sophomore Matt Seals (Rogersville, Tenn.).
- The Hornets made it 24-10 at the half as Bauserman linked up with Justin Ayers for a score and Newton nailed a 30-yarder as time expired.
- In the third quarter, the Wasps scored back-to-back touchdowns to close the gap to 27-24. Senior quarterback Kevin Saxton (Monroe, N.C.) hit junior tight end Brad Puccio (Murphy, N.C.) from 19 yards out and saw sophomore wideout Derrick Yates (Abingdon, Va.) haul in a 65-yard catch-and-run.
- SU got another pair of passing touchdowns from Bauserman and two more field goals from Newton to close out the 47-24 contest.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Saxton went 23-for-38 for 272 yards and two touchdowns but threw his first two interceptions of the year. The senior spread the ball well, hitting nine different receivers on the afternoon.
- Senior running back Isaiah Rodgers (Canton, Ga.) had 98 yards on 10 carries while freshman Brady Justice (Hurley, Va.) earned 65 yards on his 10 rushes.
- Yates led the E&H receivers with seven catches for 137 yards and a touchdown while Puccio caught five balls for 60 yards and a score.
- Junior defensive back Justin Banks (Coeburn, Va.) and junior defensive end Da’von Keith (Columbia, S.C.) had 10 tackles each while Keith led the way with two tackles for a loss. Senior linebacker Zack Manley (Tobaccoville, N.C.) and junior defensive back Jaylyn Johnson (Roanoke, Va.) added eight stops each while junior defensive tackle Levi Peters (Hot Springs, Va.) forced and recovered a fumble.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Bauserman threw for five touchdowns and 495 yards on 40-for-61 passing, hitting nine different receivers.
- Cory Bell rushed 21 times for 100 yards.
- Michael Ashwell was the leading receiver with 11 catches for 139 yards despite not finding the end zone. Hudson led the scoring receivers with six catches for 97 yards while Leonard Scott had three receptions for 97 yards.
- T.J. Heflin made 12 tackles and broke up a pass while Tyler Williams made seven stops including two for a loss. Devontae Dunn and Nate Hill each picked off passes while Andy Sartain forced and recovered a fumble.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road next week when it visits Randolph-Macon College for an ODAC game.
- Kickoff is set for 1:00 p.m. at Day Field in Ashland, Virginia.
- Smyth County animal shelter temporarily shutting down
- Kingsport Police arrest man wanted in multiple cities
- Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone