ASHLAND, Va. - The Randolph-Macon College Football Team (4-1, 2-0 ODAC) built a 28-point halftime lead and held on for a 52-29 win over Emory & Henry College (2-3, 1-1 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest.
FINAL SCORE – Randolph-Macon 52, Emory & Henry 29
LOCATION – Ashland, Virginia – Day Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-4, 1-2 ODAC); Randolph-Macon (4-2, 2-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got on the board at the 10:57 mark of the first quarter on a 19-yard field goal by sophomore Matt Seals (Rogersville, Tenn.).
- R-MC then scored four straight touchdowns to go up 28-3 midway through the second quarter. Tre Frederick ran the first score in from seven yards out and caught a 52-yard pass from Burke Estes for another touchdown to highlight the end of the opening 15 minutes.
- Senior wideout Caelan Rhinehardt (Asheville, N.C.) gave the Wasps their first touchdown of the game with a nine-yard reception from senior quarterback Kevin Saxton (Monroe, N.C.) but the Yellow Jackets added a touchdown and a field goal for the 38-10 halftime lead.
- Freshman running back Brady Justice (Hurley, Va.) notched a one-yard touchdown run in the third quarter for E&H.
- Randolph-Macon scored twice in the second half on a one-yard run by J.P. Redmond and a four-yard rush by Jordan Foster to push the margin to 52-16.
- In the fourth, junior wide receiver Chris Gannon (Alexandria, Va.) caught a 63-yard pass from freshman Hunter Taylor (Summerville, S.C.) and Taylor took one in from four yards out on his own to cap the scoring for the 52-29 final.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Saxton threw for 173 yards on 16-for-24 passing for a touchdown while Taylor completed seven passes for 115 yards and a score.
- Taylor was also the Wasps’ leading rusher with 69 yards on 10 carries. Senior running back Isaiah Rodgers (Canton, Ga.) had 40 yards on the ground while junior running back Sam Wagner (Marion, Va.) added 23 yards.
- Gannon caught a game-high seven passes for 115 yards and a touchdown while junior wide receiver Jesse Santiago (Yorktown, Va.) had five receptions for 40 yards.
- Sophomore linebacker Jake Jessee (Norton, Va.) led the way defensively with 12 tackles while senior linebacker Zack Manley (Tobaccoville, N.C.) and junior defensive back Justin Banks (Coeburn,Va.) added 11 stops each.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- Estes threw for 205 yards and a touchdown on 16-for-17 passing, Frederick once for 52 yards and a score.
- Redmond ran the ball 23 times for 156 yards and two touchdowns while Hoy had a pair of scores on 71 yards.
- Christian Redman caught four passes for 45 yards while Hoy added six receptions for 33 yards. Eight different Yellow Jackets caught passes on the afternoon.
- Yonis Blanco had 10 tackles including two tackles for loss while Norman Cade added 10 stops of his own.
- Emory & Henry’s next game will be at the friendly confines of Fred Selfe Stadium next Saturday as the Wasps celebrate Homecoming Weekend against Bridgewater College.
- Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Smyth County animal shelter temporarily shutting down
- Kingsport Police arrest man wanted in multiple cities
- Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone