Greeneville, Tenn. native Allen Johnson won his 21st career Pro Stock division race Sunday, seven years after his father Roy suffered a heart attack at the same Phoenix race track.
In his Team Mopar Dodge Avenger, Johnson, a 2012 series champ, beat V. Gaines in the final round of the CARQUEST Auto Parts NHRA Nationals at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in Phoenix.
"We fought the car all weekend," Johnson told NHRA.com.
"I'm only here because we have a great crew. I can't say enough about my guys. They worked and got it right, and this is a great way to send this Mopar Express Lube Dodge Avenger out on a winning note."
This was an emotional win for Johnson. In 2007 at this same race track, Johnson's father Roy - who serves as his engine builder - suffered a heart attack.
Now healthy, the father-son duo celebrated together Sunday in Phoenix.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death