BRISTOL, Tenn. - Greeneville drag racer Allen Johnson is second after the first day of NHRA Pro Stock qualifying at the Ford Thunder Valley Nationals at the Bristol Dragway.
Johnson - who has never won at what is considered his home track - turned in a performance of 6.657 seconds at 206.73 mph in his Mopar/Magnetti Marelli Dodge Dart.
"The entire Pro Stock class can qualify number one so right now it's very tight," Johnson told News 5 WCYB Friday evening.
Del Worsham raced to the qualifying lead in Funny Car during a rain-shortened day of action.
Persistent rain showers in the area forced NHRA officials to cancel the day's second session midway through Funny Car's final attempt.
Worsham, the 2011 Top Fuel world champion, set both ends of the track record in his DHL Toyota Camry with a performance of 3.992 seconds at 319.45 mph.
Worsham was the No. 1 qualifier at Bristol last season and he is seeking a third career win at Bristol.
Brittany Force (Top Fuel) and Shane Gray (Pro Stock) also were qualifying leaders.
Qualifying continues Saturday with rounds scheduled for 12:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. Sunday's eliminations start at noon.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson