MEXICO CITY (AP) - The U.S. Geological Survey says it calculates the earthquake that struck central Mexico as magnitude 7.1
It says the epicenter was near the town of Raboso, about 76 miles southeast of Mexico City.
Mexico's seismological agency calculated its preliminary magnitude at 6.8 and said its center was east of the city in the state of Puebla.
Earlier in the day buildings across the city held preparation drills on the anniversary of the 1985 quake.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New Smyth County animal shelter temporarily shutting down
- New Kingsport Police arrest man wanted in multiple cities
- Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone