WISE COUNTY, Va. - Brandi Baldwin entered an Alford plea in an emotion-filled courtroom Tuesday morning in Wise County, Virginia.
She agreed that the state had more than enough evidence to convict her on charges stemming from the death of her 2-year old daughter Emma. Those charges were one count of felony murder and three counts of felony child abuse.
We learned Baldwin was sentenced to 30 years -- 14 to serve and 15 years probation upon release. We also discovered that she still has two drug charges pending.
We asked Wise County Chief Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Adrian Collins whether he was satisfied with the outcome of the case. Collins told us that the sentence is consistent with other cases in the state of a similar nature.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport