WISE, Va. - An engineering firm that works with the coal industry is closing an office in Wise, Virginia.
Summit engineering is based in Pikeville, Kentucky.
A company spokesperson says they're closing due to the profound economic effect on the Appalachian region due to declining coal prices.
The company says it will continue to serve clients in Wise from other offices.
They did not release the exact number of employees at this specific office, but said they would be reassigned if opportunities existed.
- Space Needle owner: Ticket sales going to employees, relief fund
- Dolly Foundation: More than 900 sign up for relief fund assistance
- UPDATE: Jonesborough triple murder suspect pleads guilty, receives life sentence
- Saturday is last day to donate to Food City / BMS Relief Fund for Sevier County
- Coeburn man pleads guilty to multiple burglaries