WISE, Va. - An engineering firm that works with the coal industry is closing an office in Wise, Virginia.
Summit engineering is based in Pikeville, Kentucky.
A company spokesperson says they're closing due to the profound economic effect on the Appalachian region due to declining coal prices.
The company says it will continue to serve clients in Wise from other offices.
They did not release the exact number of employees at this specific office, but said they would be reassigned if opportunities existed.
- Updated Bristol, Virginia scraps waterfall plan at the Falls
- New Kingsport hosts national gymnastics championship
- Updated Man and woman charged with attempted murder, kidnapping now on most wanted list
- Tennessee governor taking business recruiting trip to Europe
- Senate OKs bill to expand N. Carolina's 'revenge porn' law