WISE, Va. - An engineering firm that works with the coal industry is closing an office in Wise, Virginia.
Summit engineering is based in Pikeville, Kentucky.
A company spokesperson says they're closing due to the profound economic effect on the Appalachian region due to declining coal prices.
The company says it will continue to serve clients in Wise from other offices.
They did not release the exact number of employees at this specific office, but said they would be reassigned if opportunities existed.
- ETSU student arraigned, has November court date
- Endangered Child Alert issued for 13-year-old girl
- Updated Police: Pipe bomb found near Tweetsie Trial in Elizabethon
- Updated Local food bank receives $50,000 grant to help distribute produce
- Updated Jonesborough Police Chief placed on administrative leave