WISE, Va. - An engineering firm that works with the coal industry is closing an office in Wise, Virginia.
Summit engineering is based in Pikeville, Kentucky.
A company spokesperson says they're closing due to the profound economic effect on the Appalachian region due to declining coal prices.
The company says it will continue to serve clients in Wise from other offices.
They did not release the exact number of employees at this specific office, but said they would be reassigned if opportunities existed.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting