Wise County, Virginia officials were told Monday they will receive a half-million dollars in economic development funding from the Department of Housing and Community Development.
Gov. Terry McAuliffe announced the two grant projects for the southwest Virginia locality during the disbursement of $4 million for projects around the Commonwealth.
A $200,000 community development block grant will be used to attract and train workers for a new call center operated by Frontier Secure, a subsidiary of Frontier Communications.
The company announced in June plans to employ 500 people for a new customer care center in the county.
The other grant totaling $300,000 will aid in the development of a drone project being launched by the county's Industrial Development Authority.
Other localities receiving grants include:
- Town of Dungannon, VA in Scott County - $100,000 to supplement its revolving loan project for business.
- Buchanan County, VA - $387,500 to fund a water line project in the Coon Branch community near Grundy.
- Smyth County animal shelter temporarily shutting down
- Kingsport Police arrest man wanted in multiple cities
- Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone