WISE COUNTY, Va. - A number of concealed carry gun permits issued in Wise County and the City of Norton set a new record this year.
According to clerk Jack Kennedy, an estimated 1,100 permits were issued in 2013 by the circuit clerk's office. That number greatly exceeds the 707 permits issued in 2012 and has doubled 2011's 550 permits.
Clerk Kennedy says there are about 3,200 active concealed permits in the country currently.
For applicants of the permits to be approved, they must have received firearm training by a certified instructor and passed a state police criminal background check.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Updated Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death