WISE COUNTY, Va. - A number of concealed carry gun permits issued in Wise County and the City of Norton set a new record this year.
According to clerk Jack Kennedy, an estimated 1,100 permits were issued in 2013 by the circuit clerk's office. That number greatly exceeds the 707 permits issued in 2012 and has doubled 2011's 550 permits.
Clerk Kennedy says there are about 3,200 active concealed permits in the country currently.
For applicants of the permits to be approved, they must have received firearm training by a certified instructor and passed a state police criminal background check.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin