WISE COUNTY, Va. - Funeral services are Thursday for a Dante, Virginia man who died after a tragic fall in Wise County, Virginia.
According to the Wise County Sheriff's Office, 22-year-old Travis Gage Jessee died after falling several feet over a waterfall. Witnesses told investigators they were hiking in the Russell Creek section of St. Paul when Jessee lost his footing and fell.
They say Jessee was pronounced dead by the medical examiner at the base of the waterfall.
Investigators tell us the terrain is very rough and steep. They say it took fire and rescue crews a few hours to get the man out.
Investigator Grayson Cothran urges you to use caution and good judgment before you go out on a hike this spring and summer.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City