WISE COUNTY, Va. - A southwest Virginia court reporter has been sentenced for obstructing justice.
Ernest Benko, 66, of Norton, Va. was accused of lying to investigators in the case of a Wise County attorney charged with obtaining controlled substances by fraud.
Benko was hired by that attorney in May 2009 to record sworn statements in the attorney's case, according to the U.S. Attorney's office.
Investigators later determined those statements were false.
Benko lied during interrogations with FBI agents and Virginia State Police, said the U.S. Attorney.
Benko pleaded guilty in June.
A judge sentenced him Tuesday to 15 months in prison.
- Updated Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator
- Man with bladed gloves, clown makeup held in Denver stabbing
- US Postal Service issues new Thoreau stamp at Walden Pond
- Derby Day event raises $31,000 for hunger prevention programs in Greene Co.
- Philadelphia man who spent 24 years in prison is exonerated