A Martinsville educator and former University of Texas program director has been named the new president of Mountain Empire Community College, the Big Stone Gap school announced Monday.
Kris Westover, the current vice president for academic and student services at Patrick Henry Community College, will be installed as the college's seventh president on July 1. She succeeds Scott Hamilton who is retiring at the end of next month, the school said.
"Dr. Westover's strong knowledge of academic program development, workforce credentials, business and community engagement, as well as her innovative vision demonstrated that she was the right fit for MECC. We welcome her to the college and are committed to her successful transition,” said MECC local advisory board chairman David Graham in a statement.
- Updated Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Updated Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone
- "Wreaths Across America" underway at the Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Students helping fellow students at Science Hill High School