COEBURN, Va. - The small town of Coeburn, Virginia is back in the black.
The town has been struggling with its finances for some time now.
A budget shortfall left the town scrambling for answers.
One issue that the town can't avoid is a contract it has through May with a public works contractor hired to take care of water and sewer for the town. Currently it's costing the town $114,000 a month.
"It is a lot of money and we're looking at different options and there's some promising options out there for us at this time," said Coeburn Mayor Jess Powers. "We're negotiating those options."
Tax revenues are beginning to roll in and water bills are adding to the coffers of the town as it tries to get its budget balanced for the coming year.
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator
- Man with bladed gloves, clown makeup held in Denver stabbing
- US Postal Service issues new Thoreau stamp at Walden Pond
- Derby Day event raises $31,000 for hunger prevention programs in Greene Co.
- Philadelphia man who spent 24 years in prison is exonerated