WISE COUNTY, VA - Commonwealth's Attorney, Chuck Slemp, wants to subpoena governor McAuliffe, current Lieutenant Governor and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Ralph Northam, and Secretary of the Commonwealth Kelly Thomasson Mercer.
He wants them to testify in the case of five convicted felons who want their gun rights restored and Slemp says according to these felons, their second amendment rights were restored by governor McAuliffe.
Slemp says he has looked into whether these felons asked for their rights to be restored, and whether or not governor McAuliffe went through proper review processes to restore those rights. He hopes to have these gun petitions reviewed by the court to find answers to these questions.
"Number one, were their rights lawfully restored by the governor, and second, if they were lawfully restored, is there good cause for this person to possess a firearm?" asks Slemp.
The filing asks a judge to hear the requests for subpoena. That hearing is scheduled for next Thursday.
- Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone
- "Wreaths Across America" underway at the Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Students helping fellow students at Science Hill High School