The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries have opened a case into hunters poaching elk in Southwest Virginia.
The agency reported Thursday that one elk was killed in the Guest River area of Wise County near Norton and the other poaching incident took place in Buchanan County in the Warfork community. The shootings took part during the week of Nov. 19.
The elk were part of a state project in conjunction with the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation to restore the species. The groups released dozens of elk near Breaks Interstate Park five years ago and current estimates have placed nearly 200 of the animals in the region.
A reward is being offered for information leading the arrest and conviction of those responsible. Tips can be made by calling the Virginia Wildlife Crimeline at 1-800-237-5712 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Callers may remain anonymous but should leave their name and contact information when reporting.
- New UPDATE: Judge rules Azotea's murder confession admissible in jury trial
- UPDATE: Donald Trump Jr. denies Hawkins County, Tennessee land offer
- Good Samaritan Ministries still need sponors for 500 people in need this holiday season
- Local Subway restaurants donating sandwiches to non-profits to show appreciation
- Niswonger Children's Hospital Christmas event for kids receiving treatment