NORTON, Va. - Some people in southwest Virginia are gearing up for an event to help fight cancer.
Team Herman will be taking part in the Relay for Life event at the University of Virginia at Wise Friday evening.
The group of Wal-Mart employees is participating for their co-worker Herman Brinkley. Herman is is currently unable to walk or sit up, but he is encouraged by the fact that his friends raised $6,000 in four days and sold more than 400 "Team Herman" T-shirts.
According to the American Cancer Society's website, 31 teams and 308 participants have raised $42, 192.35 so far.
The event begins with a survivor reception at 5 p.m. on Friday, July 26. The relay runs from 6:30 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Updated Justin Timberlake on Tenn. voting controversy: "I had no idea."
- Updated Woman pleads guilty in Tenn. drag racing case
- New Man arrested for trying pay with $1 bill altered to look like a $20
- Updated Wife who says lottery is waste of money wins $1 million
- Mistrial for men accused of beating NASCAR's Mike Wallace