ABINGDON, Va. - A hoax has turned into federal charges for a student at the University of Virginia's College at Wise.
Bryant Alexander Hairston is accused of falsely reporting a gunman on campus.
Federal authorities filed the complaint in U.S. District Court in Abingdon on Monday.
Hairston is accused of calling 911 last Wednesday and reporting that he had seen a gunman on campus.
The call sent the college into lockdown for several hours until police say Hairston admitted to making the whole thing up.
- Updated State Police: Man killed in Wise County, VA crash
- New Former Derby, Preakness winner Charismatic dies
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy