ABINGDON, Va. - A hoax has turned into federal charges for a student at the University of Virginia's College at Wise.
Bryant Alexander Hairston is accused of falsely reporting a gunman on campus.
Federal authorities filed the complaint in U.S. District Court in Abingdon on Monday.
Hairston is accused of calling 911 last Wednesday and reporting that he had seen a gunman on campus.
The call sent the college into lockdown for several hours until police say Hairston admitted to making the whole thing up.
- Local recycling practices both benefit and cost their cities
- Johnson County woman recovering after vicious dog attack
- Law enforcement search for dangerous inmate that escaped from local jail
- Johnson City woman honored by Girl Scouts of the Southern Appalachians
- Johnson City Cardinals may break 20 year attendance record