ABINGDON, Va. - A hoax has turned into federal charges for a student at the University of Virginia's College at Wise.
Bryant Alexander Hairston is accused of falsely reporting a gunman on campus.
Federal authorities filed the complaint in U.S. District Court in Abingdon on Monday.
Hairston is accused of calling 911 last Wednesday and reporting that he had seen a gunman on campus.
The call sent the college into lockdown for several hours until police say Hairston admitted to making the whole thing up.
- Sheriff: Social media rumors concerning Northwood High School being investigated
- Gone without a trace, Honaker man missing for a week
- Bogus Bills Bust: Washington County TN nab another counterfeit cash criminal
- Local healthcare leaders, educators discuss upcoming changes to Affordable Care Act
- For Weston: 'Feed the Fire' honors Kingsport boy's dream